All students will work towards an examination qualification in Religious Studies.
Year 10 and 11 – Eduqas Religious Studies Route B
Paper 1 – Foundational Catholic Theology
- Origins and Meaning
- Good and Evil
Paper 2 – Applied Catholic Theology
- Life and Death
- Sin and Forgiveness
Paper 3 – Judaism
The RE course is assessed by three exams at the end of Year 11. Paper 1 and Paper 2 are 1 hour 30 minutes long and Paper 3 is 1 hour long.
Homework assignments will vary from tasks to be completed for the next lesson to lengthier assignments where work will be undertaken over a longer time scale. Test preparation and learning will also be required.
Celebrating our Faith
- All RE lessons begin with prayer. There are regular form prayers during tutor time and a programme of chapel visits.
- There is a weekly service every Friday, either Holy Mass or a Liturgy of the Word. In October and May there will be a focus on Marian devotion in honour of Our Lady.
- There are opportunities for taking part in the Sacrament of Reconciliation during the year, particularly during Advent & Lent.
- All students and staff are warmly invited to attend chapel at any time.
- The RE department works closely with the new Youth Minister in celebrating our faith throughout the school, with our families, the local Parishes and within the wider community.
The importance of support from parents cannot be overestimated particularly in the faith development of each child as well as in their learning in Religious Education. Pupils should see what is being taught in the classroom being lived out in their own journey of faith both at school and in the home. We ask parents to help in the following ways:
- To be aware of homework tasks noted in your child’s diary and to discuss these where possible
- To encourage high standards in work completed at home
- To help with organisation and meeting of deadlines
- 4 days residential at the Diocesan Youth Centre, Alton Castle, Staffordshire in the autumn term in Year 8.
- Involvement in various charitable/fund raising events http://healthsavy.com/product/kamagra/ throughout Years 7-13.
- 4 days residential at Soli House Diocesan Youth Centre, now housed in the village of Alton (their new premises opening in Summer 2014.)
- Opportunity to serve in Music Ministry for the celebration of whole school Masses.
- Opportunity to serve in the Eucharistic Ministry in Year 11 and assisting with chaplaincy.
- Spirituality Groups Years 7-9 and their outreach to the faith life of the school
- Sixth Form Prayer Group • Lourdes Pilgrimage each Spring